Guest Bedroom Redo


Well, it finally happened. After years of me not living in my parents' house, my mom and dad finally wanted to turn it into a guest room. Which I am totally fine with, because my old room had a twin day bed and we could really use more beds at their house when my brother, his wife and my husband and I come home at the same time! They enlisted my help to turn the bedroom into a guest room, so I'm showing you the results today!

We really just made some minor changes, but kept the color palette the same. The old wall color was a beautiful mint shade of green, but my parents decided to paint all the walls a neutral shade so that if they decide to sell or rent out the house sometime in the future, it'd be ready for house showings. I also love neutral walls with pops of color in the rooms, so that everything flows better. So while I loved the old color on my walls, I wasn't mad to see it go. This new shade is Malibu Beige by Kelly Moore at 75% (meaning lightened a little bit).

BEFORE: bold color palette with punchy abstract art (made by yours truly!) See the full room here

AFTER: subtle walls with small pops of pink and green.

 
As you can see, we kept the curtains I custom made for my old room, since we were keeping the same color palette but just toning it down.

 My grandma made this pillow for my old room by using extra fabric she had leftover from sewing the curtains. Here's the full pillow cover.

We needed small nightstands to fit on the inside line of the built-in bookshelves, so these from Pier 1 fit the bill! They're on sale now. I love that they have storage as well. The bedside lamps are the perfect height for this small area, while the crystal glass look gives it that elegant touch.

When I was home taking these pictures over Christmas break, Whole Foods had peonies and I nearly lost my mind! So fun, since they're usually only found in June and sometimes the first week of July!



 We kept the same dresser I found and redid years ago (<-- tutorial there) in the space, since it was neutral. 



This peachy blush blanket is a blanket we used on the reception furniture at our wedding (from Target a few years ago), so it's great to see it in use at my parent's house now! It's the perfect color for the room. My mom said she learned to drape blankets at the end of beds from Joanna Gaines, since almost all her Fixer Upper houses have that :)



My favorite thing in the room has to be these new prints from my friend Annie of Wildfield Paper Co. hanging above the bed. I knew we needed something with color up above the new headboard, but we also needed it relatively small so that it fit the small space between the headboard and built ins. This series of 3 prints was the perfect fit!

The headboard is really wonderful as well. It's great quality for only being around $230!


Look how amazing they are! Annie is a master of watercolor. She has tons of prints to choose from here in her shop. The frames are also a favorite element! I was searching high and low for gold frames and almost ordered some on Target's website, but so many reviews were mentioning they were cheap quality, so I turned to Etsy. Right away I found these gold frames that had amazing reviews! I'll be adding to those reviews, because they are beautiful and we were all impressed with the quality. 

In case you're wondering, these are 11x14 prints and frames.






white bedding / nightstands / lamps (bedside size) / headboard / gold frames / watercolor prints-- dogwood, peony, magnolia /

We loved staying in the new room over Christmas! My 6'3" husband was so happy to have a queen bed :) Even though I loved my mint and peach room, the neutral space is a lovely change and it does help the house flow more as you walk down the hallway.

Hope you liked seeing the tour of the mini bedroom redo! Did your parents turn your room into anything else once you were out of the house? 


Happy Monday!
xoxo


interior design website / services / portfolio

1 comment

  1. I love seeing this beautiful room transform over the last few years! It's grown up just like you, and what a special treat to have your mom 'hire' out your talents :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top